Unlike humans, computers know only one language, the binary language. It deals in zero and one, which means off and on. Since most of the things have become online now, it is crucial for humans to interact with computers. The only way to do so is by learning programming languages.
Advancements in the field of web development, robotics, and others have given rise to a lot of programming languages. Each one of them has its own syntax, rules, and eventually the applications.
With this article, you will get an insight into the most common programming languages and their uses in industry.
This general purpose programming language came into existence in May 1995. It has, since then, become popular among the web developers. The goal of this language is to let developers run their code on different devices that run on different operating systems. It is referred to as “write once, run anywhere.”
The popularity of Java is evident from TIOBE Index, which has ranked the language first on the list based on how often users look out for it on the internet.
Most of the syntax of Java has come from C and C++, but these two have more low-level facilities than Java has.
Why Learn Java
- Ease of learning: If you know the basics of object-oriented programming, you will have no problem in learning the language. The syntax of Java is very easy to understand.
- Available resources: When it comes to learning, you need resources. Java, being a mature language, has numerous resources on the internet where you can learn it from. The discussion forums already have countless questions about the problems that people face while learning Java that you will get a solution for pretty much everything.
- Career scope: Java is in great demand today. The coders with sound knowledge of the language have no problem in getting a job in the field. Most of the android apps are written in Java.
Great community support: Globally, there are tens of millions of Java developers, and the community is still getting bigger. Being a newcomer in learning the language, you will always have someone solving your problems on one of the online forums.
- Applications of Java: Android apps, embedded systems, scientific applications, web & application servers, web applications, enterprise applications.
C Programming Language
If you look at the trends, it is one of the most common programming languages. This is usually the first programming language that colleges teach the students.
C language was designed by Dennis Ritchie between 1969 and 1973. The compiler of C is relatively straightforward, and it provides low-level access to the memory.
The syntax of C is a little difficult to learn, but with a little patience and attention, it gets easier. Some other programming languages like C++, Java, and Python are influenced by this language.
Of all the programming languages, it is considered to be a universal language. It has a relatively small runtime, which helps keep the system lean.
Why Learn C
- Vast resources available: C is nearly 50-year old language, and almost all of the problems that beginners face have been discussed on one or the other online forum. You will find a solution to every problem that you incur while learning it.
- It is in Demand: Most of the projects that started on C language decades ago are still being run. Microsoft’s Windows kernel was mostly written in the C language. Besides, Linux and Mac are also powered by it.
- C makes learning other languages easier: Even if you don’t get to use it, learning C makes it easier for you to learn other programming languages.
- C is a Portable language: As long as the computer you want to transfer your code has a C compiler, you can run it anywhere.
- Applications of C: Computer applications, embedded software, language compilers and interpreters, text editors. It is used in writing computer applications, coding of databases.
Developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in 1985, it is an extension of the C language. It is considered to be an intermediate-level language because it entails features of both low and high-level languages.
The most attractive feature of C++ is that it allows overloading of certain operators. It includes polymorphism, templates, and namespaces & pointers.
Like C language, C++ influences a couple of programming languages as well. These are Java, C#, and D.
All the major software applications of Adobe like Photoshop, ImageReady, and Premier are written in C++.
Why Learn C++
- Makes learning other languages easier: C++ is a complex language and takes time getting used to. You need to take care of a lot of parameters to learn C++ and hence develop the attitude to learn others comfortably.
- Get Strong Community Support: When learning to programme, it is crucial to get answers to the problems. C++ is an old language and ensures a great support from the community of coders.
- Applications of C++ Language: Web browsers, GUI based applications, writing database software, coding games, writing compilers for other programming languages, powering operating systems.
It is a high-level programming language that was designed by Guido van Rossum in 1990. Python has automatic memory management. It is one of the versatile programming languages as it is used in a number of fields.
Python features automatic memory management and has a dynamic type system as well. The library of Python language is comprehensive and significantly large.
Ever since introduction, it has been used to make 2D imaging software and 3D animation packages. Its higher productivity and speeds have made it an integral part of the applications that are involved in the computation of scientific data.
Why Learn Python
- It is a Cross-Platform Language: From Windows, to Macintosh, to Linux, every popular operating system support Python.
- Early to Learn: The syntax of Python is quite easy to understand for beginners, and it is incredibly powerful at the same time.
- Application of Python: Data mining, machine learning, web applications & frameworks, web scraping, data analysis, artificial intelligence.
- Strong Support from the Community: Again, a mature language that finds its applications in a vast number of industries, Python has a large community. Whatever problem you come across, has always bothered other programmers, and that’s how you get the solutions for them.
- Higher Salary: Python programmers are one of the highest paid programmers globally. This is because it finds its applications in a lot of industries.
It is easy to test and verify the JS code across multiple browsers because it runs in widely varying environments. With a little knowledge of HTML, and CSS along with JS, you can create your own blog or a small website.
- Learning JS is easy: Provided you pay enough attention, learning JS is relatively easy to learn. With a vast community that it has, learning becomes even more comfortable.