Learn HTML & CSS Online: Best HTML/ CSS courses for Beginners (2018)
Are you trying to find the best place to learn HTML & CSS online? Well, there are a lot of websites and courses that you can take advantage from.
HTML is the primary language that is responsible for creating any website. This markup language acts as a building block of the sites, and every web developer needs to master it.
If you look out for the courses and sites to learn HTML and CSS on the internet, there are multiple options. However, not every option that you have is great or perhaps the best.
To know which ones are best for you, especially when you are a beginner, take some time out and read this article. It is prepared to save you some time in determining which online course to take to learn HTML & CSS.
It is an online school that provides beginner to advanced courses in web design, web development, and others. Most of the courses at Treehouse are aimed at teaching the beginners the fundamentals of coding.
On Treehouse, you get to learn everything through videos, quizzes, and code challenges. Experts from the tech industry design and narrate the videos so the students can learn much better.
The site also has a Techdegree program for six competencies which prepares students for entry-level development jobs.
• Introduction to HTML and CSS: This course is designed to let students learn the basic structure of a web page. It teaches you how to change and add HTML tags and modify CSS attributes. The course lasts for about 134 minutes.
• Using CSS Variables: This 37-minute workshop has eight videos that teach you to use native CSS variables. You will learn the custom properties for variables and much more in the course.
• How to Make a Website: If you’re looking forward to writing basic HTML, and styling web pages with CSS, this course is for you. In this course, you will also learn to upload files on the web pages.
Price: 7-Day Free Trial
To learn new skills in the field of web development and stay up-to-date on the tools, you must try this online school. It has a vast library of video lectures that are designed by the experts.
Fill the skills gap in the critical areas through the learning paths, assessments, and the courses that the school has to offer.
• HTML Fundamentals: It is one of the best beginner HTML courses that are intended to teach students how to follow the standards, create lists, and tables. Besides, you will be able to learn what not to do in HTML through this course.
• Introduction to CSS: Being a beginner, it is crucial for you to understand the fundamentals of CSS. In this basic course, you will be learning to achieve 2 and 3 column layouts with CSS.
Price: Free for the first 10 days and then $299 annually.
It is yet another online school that offers coding classes for more than twelve different programming languages. The languages include markup ones like HTML and CSS as well.
Codecademy is one of the best places to learn to code, especially when you have no prior experience. Beginning with the basic structures, the courses get challenging and advanced.
• Learn HTML: All this course will take is three hours to teach you the fundamentals of the language. You will also learn to build and edit the web pages. After all, understanding the syntax and structure is crucial to begin with web development. This is one of the best HTML courses for beginners.
• Learn CSS: Learn the fundamentals of CSS and build a website from scratch. Through this tutorial, you will get to know about the selectors, visual rules, the box model, display & positioning, and typography.
Price: The beginner courses are free, and you can upgrade the membership for advanced courses at $19.99 a month.
It is more of a platform than a structured approach towards learning. Udemy has a wide range of video lectures designed by the experts. So, before you take a course, make sure you read the instructor’s credentials.
None of the courses on Udemy is credentialed for college credit. These are for the people who want to enhance their programming skills to get ready for a job.
Although you get access to most of the courses by paying the fees, you can avail heavy discounts on some of them.
• HTML and CSS from Beginner to Advanced: To be able to master coding, you need to understand it first. That’s what you get in this course. This course will teach you the HTML basics, lists, tables, and CSS properties.
• The Complete HTML and CSS Course: Through this course, you will receive a thorough understanding of both the markup languages. If you are a novice, you should definitely take this course to learn every necessary skill to be a front-end web developer.
• The Web Developer Bootcamp: When you take this course, you will be able to write browser-based games, implement responsive navbars, manipulate the DOM with Vanilla JS, and so much more.
Price: Varies with every course.
With TutsPlus’ massive library of tutorials, you get more control of what you want to learn.
If you are already aware of the basics, you can skip the entire extra information and move directly to the solutions.
• Learn CSS: The Complete Guide: This guide will take you to the fundamentals of CSS like positioning, layout, libraries, and projects. You will learn various CSS animation techniques in this course as well.
• Basics of the CSS Box Model: Learn how content, borders, margins, and padding affect the dimensions of the layout of HTML content. By understanding the CSS box model, you will get to know to take control of the front-end layouts of your site.
Price: Basic courses are free. Pay $15 a month for premium courses.
Anything that you need to know about web development and the related programming languages, you will find it at W3Schools.
It is completely different from most of the sites that are mentioned here because it covers a comprehensive coding base, but the explanations are limited.
You can use it as a dictionary for the markup languages that you are learning, or want to learn. It’s more of a reference guide than a tutorial site, but that’s what makes it different from others. Learning laravel (the most popular php framework) is complimentary once you master HTML CSS. It enables you to become a full stack developer (full-stack web developers have a higher salary) instead of just a front-end developer.
Since it does not cover anything in the form of tutorials and courses, let us have a look at what it will teach you.
What you will learn:
• Basics, Elements, Headings, Attributes, Paragraphs, Styles, Formatting, Quotations, Colors, and so much more.
• Introduction, Syntax, Colors, Backgrounds, Borders, Margins, Box Model, Outline, Fonts, Icons, and again; a lot.
Lynda offers its users a wide range of video courses that are narrated by the experts of the tech industry. From beginner, to intermediate, to advanced, you get access to countless courses.
Besides CSS and HTML, Lynda covers pretty much everything about programming, graphic designing, and animation.
The best part is that you get access to everything under one subscription, which can also be cancelled at any time.
• Introduction to CSS: This course covers the basic parameters of CSS like how it works with HTML, the classic box model, basic layout concepts, and working with grids and frameworks.
• Fundamentals of HTML, CSS, and Frameworks: To learn to create navigation, styling the content with CSS, creating responsive sites for mobile devices, and adding HTML content to a webpage, you should take this course. It will also teach you to test and upload a website.
• CSS: Advanced Layouts with Grids: Through this course, you will learn certain topics about CSS. These topics include; defining a grid, automatic and manual placement of grid item, grid lines and units, making grid responsive, and much more.
Price: Free Trial, and then anything between $19.99 and 29.99 a month.
The website has a lot of short tutorials about every language, primarily CSS. Whatever your problem is, just search for it on CSS Tricks to find the answer.
• Beginner Concepts: How CSS Selectors Work: This is for the people who are completely new to CSS because selectors are what allow you to target specific elements of HTML. You will learn the fundamentals of the language that are crucial to becoming a pro.
• HTML and CSS: The very Basics: It’s a video tutorial that takes you deep into the basics of these two markup languages. It is for those who are absolutely new to writing code in HTML and CSS.
Every course on this site has some videos which make learning easy for those who crave for it. Then there are challenges that keep you engaged in learning.
Since it initially came into existence with the classes for Maths and Science, the library of web development is not so vast.
• Intro to HTML/CSS: Making Webpages: As the name of the course suggests, you will be learning about how to use these languages to make web pages. Also, the course covers HTML tags, CSS text properties, and every fundamental aspect of these two.
• CSS Basics: Again, a video tutorial about the basics of CSS and how to write code in it to design a website. It covers almost everything you need to know about this markup language.
Regardless of your expertise level in programming, this online school is great for you. It has content for almost every language that you need to learn to become a web developer.
It is very easy to learn to write code in CSS and HTML on this site, as it is an interactive learning platform.
Beginning with the tutorials, students move towards the project assignments that can either be completed alone or in a pair. Once you complete the project tasks, you will be given more practical development exposure by making you work with other non-profits.
• Basic HTML and HTML5: It is sort of a challenge more than it is a tutorial, but you get to learn through it a lot. These challenges walk you through the steps of web development in an order.
• Basic CSS: This tutorial is about the basics of CSS that tells you about the case-sensitive nature of the language and other stuff of the sort. In this course, you will learn about selectors, font family, class and their application in web designing.
We hope that by now you know which one is the best place to learn HTML & CSS on the internet. You can choose any one or perhaps more than one platform to learn these languages.
We recommend you to take advantage from Treehouse, especially if you are a complete novice and want to learn the language from scratch. Although there’s no problem with the other sites, this one will let you learn more easily and quickly.
Learning to code is not just limited to getting a job in the concerned field. It can be used to enhance the skill set as well. So, take your requirements into consideration, and get to work.
No matter which one you choose for yourself, you will thoroughly enjoy learning these languages because they are the ones that make up the websites that you see everywhere on the internet.